| The Viennese bank, S. M. von Rothschild, was established by Salomon von Rothschild and directed by him until the revolution of 1848. Thereafter he confined himself to his French château, and the firm was managed by his only son, Anselm. Anselm recognised that only one of his sons, Albert, would succeed him in the business. Three of Albert's sons, Alphonse, Louis and Eugène succeeded him on his death in 1911. Alphonse and Eugène escaped from Vienna at the Anschluß in 1938, while Louis, a former chairman of the Creditanstalt, was held prisoner for a year before finally settling in the USA. The business of the Viennese bank was eventually taken over by the firm S. Nicolai.
The papers of the Viennese Rothschilds were seized by the Nazis in 1938, and later taken by the Red Army to Moscow. They were handed to the Rothschild Archive in 2001. See The Rothschild Archive Review of the Year April 2001-March 2002 for more about the history of this collection.
There are also some papers concerning the Viennese house which are held at Centre des Archives du Monde du Travail.
For further information contact The Rothschild Archive. Lists and indexes are available on the Rothschild Research Forum.