Welcome toThe Rothschild Archive'swebsite

Sources for business history: catalogues of bank files

Sources for art history: Catalogue of the pictures of Alfred de Rothschild 1901

Sources for yachting history: Plans for Nathaniel von Rothschild's yacht Veglia 1905

Sources for natural history: Walter 2nd Lord Rothschild and his zebra carriage: c.1910

Sources for global financial history: Map of lines of the Brazil Railway Company: c.1920

Sources for business history: index cards to bank files

Sources for social history: Rothschild Hospital Paris: 1920s

Sources for business history: detail of a Rothschild bond coupon

Sources for architectural history: Halton House: 1890s

Sources for the history of travel: Lionel de Rothschild's tours of Spain: 1909

Sources for local history: Tring Park: c.1900

Sources for Royal history: shooting party with Edward Prince of Wales: 1893

Sources for political history: Lionel de Rothschild: first Jewish MP: 1858

Sources for sporting history: St Amant winner of the Derby: 1904

Sources for local history: gardeners at Aston Clinton: 1899

Sources for Rothschild family history: Lionel de Rothschild's yacht Rhodora: 1927

Sources for London history: entrance to New Court: 1965

Sources for design history: plans for Lionel de Rothschild's Rolls-Royce: 1930

Sources for business history: Rothschild gold bars produced by the Royal Mint Refinery: 1930s

Sources for business history: letters of August Belmont Rothschild Agent in New York: 1860s

The fourth New Court

'Intended for magnificent business', New Court has been the home of the London house of Rothschild business for over 200 years. There have been four buildings called New Court on the site.

The fourth New Court

In 2008, it was decided to demolish and rebuild N M Rothschild & Sons Limited offices, New Court. The 1960s building was beginning to show its age and was too small to accomodate the entire staff.

A new landmark building was to be erected on the New Court site. The internationally renowned architect Rem Koolhaas and his practice OMA were chosen to create a New Court for the 21st century. OMA’s vision for the fourth version of New Court was inspired by the idea of ‘heritage in the City’. The inspiration behind the new design for New Court came from the Palazzo Vecchio, home of Cosimo l de’ Medici in Florence.

The Topping Out ceremony for the new building was in 2010; the fourth New Court was completed in 2011. The interior of the building includes many references to the company's history, and a new oak reading room for The Rothschild Archive. 

Restoration of the church view

In building the newest New Court, the intention was not only to preserve the qualities of the historical context of the Rothschild site, but to enhance them. The new building is designed to improve the relationship between the development and St. Swithin’s Lane by acknowledging the historical enclosure of the lane.

The site of Christopher Wren’s historically significant St. Stephen Walbrook has been neglected over three centuries of architectural development and was largely hidden from view. The rebuilding of New Court has reinstated the 18th century visual connection between St. Swithin’s Lane and the Church. 

 "The exterior as well as the interior of the new building has been carefully conceived to create an inspiring building for Rothschild that establishes a new dialogue with the City." Ellen Van Loon, Senior Partner OMA

"Rothschild has made a commitment to the City of London that has endured across six generations. The new New Court is of significant historical and architectural importance and continues this commitment." Tony Chapman, Rothschild project manager

The first New Court (c.1809-1868) »

The second New Court 1868-1962) »

The third New Court (1962-2008) »

The fourth New Court (2008- »

The fourth New Court

The fourth New Court

View of lift lobby Level 10

View of lift lobby Level 10