000/2202 Portrait of Constance and Annie de Rothschild by James G Middleton
The portrait depicts the daughters of Sir Anthony de Rothschild (1810-1876), second son of Nathan Mayer Rothschild: Constance (1843-1931) later Lady Battersea, and Annie (1844-1926) later Mrs Eliot Yorke. This fine portrait was painted by the Victorian artist, James G Middleton in 1860.
It shows Constance and Annie near their home at Aston Clinton in Buckinghamshire. For many years, the painting was on display in the village hall in Aston Clinton. The Anthony Hall as it is known, was built in 1884 by Sir Anthony’s widow Louise, in his memory.
Constance and Annie were noted for their public works. They encouraged their father to support local schools in Aston Clinton, where they both taught, and they later embraced various philanthropic causes including temperance, prison reform, education, and Jewish women's charities.
The painting now hangs in New Court, St Swithin's Lane.
The restoration of the portrait was made possible by the Trustees of The Rothschild Archive. The Archive kindly thanks The Trustees of The Anthony Hall, Aston Clinton for the long-term loan of the portrait.