Welcome toThe Rothschild Archive'swebsite

Sources for business history: catalogues of bank files

Sources for art history: Catalogue of the pictures of Alfred de Rothschild 1901

Sources for yachting history: Plans for Nathaniel von Rothschild's yacht Veglia 1905

Sources for natural history: Walter 2nd Lord Rothschild and his zebra carriage: c.1910

Sources for global financial history: Map of lines of the Brazil Railway Company: c.1920

Sources for business history: index cards to bank files

Sources for social history: Rothschild Hospital Paris: 1920s

Sources for business history: detail of a Rothschild bond coupon

Sources for architectural history: Halton House: 1890s

Sources for the history of travel: Lionel de Rothschild's tours of Spain: 1909

Sources for local history: Tring Park: c.1900

Sources for Royal history: shooting party with Edward Prince of Wales: 1893

Sources for political history: Lionel de Rothschild: first Jewish MP: 1858

Sources for sporting history: St Amant winner of the Derby: 1904

Sources for local history: gardeners at Aston Clinton: 1899

Sources for Rothschild family history: Lionel de Rothschild's yacht Rhodora: 1927

Sources for London history: entrance to New Court: 1965

Sources for design history: plans for Lionel de Rothschild's Rolls-Royce: 1930

Sources for business history: Rothschild gold bars produced by the Royal Mint Refinery: 1930s

Sources for business history: letters of August Belmont Rothschild Agent in New York: 1860s

Exhibition - Rothschild Gardens

15: Ramat Hanadiv, Israel

Baron Edmond de Rothschild (1845-1934) specified in his will that he wished to be buried in Israel. In 1954, the remains of the Baron and his wife Baroness Adelheid (1853-1935) were removed from the French cemetery where they had been buried twenty years earlier. Brought to Israel aboard a naval frigate, upon arrival in Haifa the craft was greeted with sirens and a nineteen-gun salute. The government had decreed a State Funeral and the Baron and Baroness were re-interred in Israel.

Ramat Hanadiv Memorial Gardens 

The Ramat Hanadiv Memorial Gardens are nestled on a slope, on the road that leads from Zichron Ya’acov to Binyamina. The gardens and nature reserve cover over 1,100 acres – 20 of which are the memorial gardens. The gardens at Ramat Hanadiv - the Heights of the Benefactor - were planted as a memorial to Edmond and Adelheid. The public gardens, surrounded by a Nature Reserve brimming with wild flowers, are comprised of many varying areas, from a formal rose garden to a wooded walk. 

The Fragrance Garden has been designed with the visually impaired in mind, so that plants’ fragrance might be enjoyed. It includes fragrant sweet smelling plants and herbs. Visitors are encouraged to touch the plants in this section. Both Edmond and his son James were almost sightless for the latter part of their lives.

The formal Rose Garden contains a variety of roses and includes six pools with fountains, representing the Rothschild family. The large pool represents the founder of the Rothschild business, Mayer Amschel Rothschild, while the five small pools represent his five sons.

Ramat Hanadiv website »

The Rothschild Rose Gardens Ramat Hanadiv Memorial Gardens

The Rothschild Rose Gardens Ramat Hanadiv Memorial Gardens