Welcome toThe Rothschild Archive'swebsite

Sources for business history: plans of New Court

Sources for art history: Catalogue of the pictures of Alfred de Rothschild 1901

Sources for yachting history: Plans for Nathaniel von Rothschild's yacht Veglia 1905

Sources for natural history: Walter 2nd Lord Rothschild and his zebra carriage: c.1910

Sources for global financial history: Map of lines of the Brazil Railway Company: c.1920

Sources for business history: index cards to bank files

Sources for social history: Rothschild Hospital Paris: 1920s

Sources for business history: detail of a Rothschild bond coupon

Sources for architectural history: Halton House: 1890s

Sources for the history of travel: Lionel de Rothschild's tours of Spain: 1909

Sources for local history: Tring Park: c.1900

Sources for Royal history: shooting party with Edward Prince of Wales: 1893

Sources for political history: Lionel de Rothschild: first Jewish MP: 1858

Sources for sporting history: St Amant winner of the Derby: 1904

Sources for local history: gardeners at Aston Clinton: 1899

Sources for Rothschild family history: Lionel de Rothschild's yacht Rhodora: 1927

Sources for London history: entrance to New Court: 1965

Sources for design history: plans for Lionel de Rothschild's Rolls-Royce: 1930

Sources for business history: Rothschild gold bars produced by the Royal Mint Refinery: 1930s

Sources for business history: letters of August Belmont Rothschild Agent in New York: 1860s

The New Court Vitrine: Business letter from Nathan Mayer Rothschild, 1806

The New Court Vitrine, curated by The Rothschild Archive, recalls the cases of treasures and cabinets of curiosity that graced the great Rothschild houses.

Letter written in Judendeutsch. The Rothschild Archive is home to a collection of over 20,000 letters sent by the five Rothschild brothers from London, Vienna, Paris, Naples, and Frankfurt between 1806 and 1868. 

Business letters between the five Rothschild brothers

The sons of Mayer Amschel Rothschild (1744-1812) travelled throughout Europe in pursuit of the family business, and they wrote daily to one another, keeping each other informed of the business of the day, the market opportunities and prices, or just family gossip. This letter, written by Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836), founder of the London house to a Manchester merchant house in July 1806 discusses the textile trade. 

Judendeutsch (words in German and written in Hebrew), was the language used by German and Eastern European Jews until the middle of the nineteenth century. It is the language of the Frankfurt Jewsih ghetto, where the Rothschild family lived, and in which the brothers were educated. The use of this script provided a convenient means of protecting their letters from prying eyes, for although not in itself a code, the comparative rarity of understanding of the script meant that the letters could not easily be deciphered. 

“Be careful with letters here because people are curious to know whether we have any secrets.” Carl Rothschild to his brothers Salomon and Nathan, written from Berlin, 10 December 1816

Back to list of Vitrine contents »

Judendeutsch letter

Judendeutsch letter

The House of the Green Shield

The House of the Green Shield