Welcome toThe Rothschild Archive'swebsite

Sources for business history: catalogues of bank files

Sources for art history: Catalogue of the pictures of Alfred de Rothschild 1901

Sources for yachting history: Plans for Nathaniel von Rothschild's yacht Veglia 1905

Sources for natural history: Walter 2nd Lord Rothschild and his zebra carriage: c.1910

Sources for global financial history: Map of lines of the Brazil Railway Company: c.1920

Sources for business history: index cards to bank files

Sources for social history: Rothschild Hospital Paris: 1920s

Sources for business history: detail of a Rothschild bond coupon

Sources for architectural history: Halton House: 1890s

Sources for the history of travel: Lionel de Rothschild's tours of Spain: 1909

Sources for local history: Tring Park: c.1900

Sources for Royal history: shooting party with Edward Prince of Wales: 1893

Sources for political history: Lionel de Rothschild: first Jewish MP: 1858

Sources for sporting history: St Amant winner of the Derby: 1904

Sources for local history: gardeners at Aston Clinton: 1899

Sources for Rothschild family history: Lionel de Rothschild's yacht Rhodora: 1927

Sources for London history: entrance to New Court: 1965

Sources for design history: plans for Lionel de Rothschild's Rolls-Royce: 1930

Sources for business history: Rothschild gold bars produced by the Royal Mint Refinery: 1930s

Sources for business history: letters of August Belmont Rothschild Agent in New York: 1860s

Exhibition - Rothschild Gardens

10: Château de Boulogne, Boulogne-sur-Seine

In 1817 James de Rothschild bought the late 18th-century château de Boulogne from another banker, Jean-Charles Davilliers. Situated well beyond Passy at the edge of the Bois de Boulogne with the Seine running parallel to the estate, it provided the ideal summer retreat while still allowing easy access to Paris. Not only could James and his sons travel to work, but provisions could be transported by barge along the Seine between the château and the family's town house in the rue Laffitte. In 1855 the architect Joseph-Armand Berthelin was commissioned to rebuild the house, creating a château in the style of Louis-Philippe. Eugène Lami, better known as a painter, produced the interior decor designs for Boulogne as he did for Ferrières. His work showed the influence of the palace of Versailles and Louis XIV style.

The gardens of Château de Boulogne

The Château stood in the middle of a park of one hundred hectares, ornamented with magnificent trees, French gardens, a splendid rose garden and a unique pergola covered with wisteria. 

The château passed to James' youngest son, Edmond, who added his own alterations, commissioning Germain Debré to draw up the plans. After Edmond's death, his daughter, Alexandrine lived there until war broke out, after which the house fell into disuse and the garden was given to the town.

 

Formal garden at the Chateau de Boulogne. An autochome by Lionel de Rothschild c.1910

Formal garden at the Chateau de Boulogne. An autochome by Lionel de Rothschild c.1910