Tring Park in Hertforshire was the country estate of Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915). The original house was was built by Christopher Wren in 1670. The Rothschilds’ earliest association with the house dates back to the 1830s when they rented it for the summer. Lionel de Rothschild (1808-1879), son of Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836) finally purchased the property in 1872, making considerable alterations according to designs by George Devey. The new design resulted in a red-brick house in 18th century French style, with stone dressings and slate mansard roof.
Nathaniel inherited the property in 1879. Typically when greeting the many guests entertained at Tring, Lord Rothschild would receive them in the central hall before leading them into the morning room, panelled in exotic woods, with an elaborate fireplace and four built-in cupboards which housed his impressive collection of objets d’art. After Natty’s death, Emma was left a life interest in the house, where she lived with her son Walter (1868-1937) until she died in 1935. The house is now a school run by the Arts Educational Trust.
Nathaniel and his wife, Emma were generous landlords, building over 400 modern cottages in and around Tring, complete with sewage arrangements and water supply. This testimonial records congratulations from the staff of departments of the Tring Estate including: Carpenters' Yard Department; Carriage Stables Department; Engineering Department; Farm Department; Game Department; Garden Department; Hunting Stables Department; Lodge Keepers (etc) Department; Museum Department; Office Department and Pensioners.