Chronology c.1450 to the present day
Selected milestones in the history of the family and key dates in the history of the development of the Rothschild businesses are detailed here. Click on a year date to reveal further information about the events that shaped history; a relevant image will also appear at the top of the page.
1450s The first identified Rothschild ancestor in Frankfurt
The Rothschild family can trace their ancestors back to 'Uri Feibesh' in Frankfurt in 1450.
The family tree of 1973.
1530 House of the 'Red Shield' built in Frankfurt
The 'House of the Red Shield' (from which the family derive their name) was built by Rothschild ancestors in the Judengassse in Frankfurt.
Map of the Frankfurt. The Judengasse is in the top right-hand corner.
1650s First use of the name 'Rothschild' in records
Frankfurt Jews were not compelled to have surnames until 1807. The Rothschilds adopted their name from the place where they lived.
A Rothschild pedigree.
1744 Mayer Amschel Rothschild born in Frankfurt
Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the Rothschild partnership is born in Frankfurt. He became a merchant and coin dealer.
The Judengasse where Mayer Amschel Rothschild was born in 1744.
1769 Mayer Amschel Rothschild becomes a Court Agent
In 1769, Mayer Amschel gained the title of 'Court Agent', an important position managing the finances of the immensely wealthy Elector of Hesse-Cassel.
Deed of Hessen country of Wilhelm I conerning the appointment of Mayer Amschel von Rothschild (1744-1812) as the court financial agent, 21 September 1769.
1773 Birth of Amschel Mayer Rothschild
Mayer Amschel Rothschild (1773-1855) who was to lead the Frankfurt business was the most cautious and conservative of the Rothschild brothers.
Mayer Amschel Rothschild (1773-1855).
1774 Birth of Salomon Mayer Rothschild
The Viennese bank, S. M. von Rothschild, was established by Salomon Mayer Rothschild (1774-1855), the second of the five brothers.
Salomon Mayer Rothschild (1774-1855).
1777 Birth of Nathan Mayer Rothschild
Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836) established the banking house which still trades today from St Swithin's Lane in the City of London.
Nathan and his family are depicted in this painting by Hobday, c,1824. In 1825, the family's town home was established at 107, Piccadilly and in 1835, Nathan acquired Gunnersbury Park in west London.
1785 The 'House of the Green Shield'
As business prospered, Mayer Amschel bought a larger semi-detached house in the Judengasse where he lived with his wife Gutle and their ten children.
The House of the Green Shield.
1788 Birth of Carl Mayer Rothschild
In the early 1820s, Carl Mayer Rothschild was dispatched to Naples to handle the family's business there. Carl formed the fifth Rothschild house under the name C M von Rothschild & Figli.
Carl Mayer Rothschild (1788-1855).
1792 Birth of James Rothschild
From the age of 19, James was in Paris co-ordinating the purchase of specie and bullion for his brother Nathan, before founding 'the Paris house, de Rothschild Frères.
James Mayer de Rothschild (1792-1868).
1798 Nathan Rothschild arrives in Manchester
Nathan, aged 21, established Rothschild Brothers in Manchester 1799 as commission agents to co-ordinate the supply of British textiles to the continental market for his father’s account.
Nathan Rothschild's textile order book.
1806 The first client: The Elector of Hesse Cassel
The Elector of Hesse Cassel, fleeing Napoleon in 1806, entrusted part of his fortune to Mayer Amschel Rothschild. The Rothschilds wisely invested the Elector's funds and, by the time the Elector returned, they had accrued considerable interest.
Miniature illustrating the traditional story of the founding of the Rothschild fortune: the return of the (treasure) chests to the Elector of Hesse, after a watercolour by Moritz Daniel Oppenheim.
1809 Nathan Rothschild moves into New Court
Nathan Mayer Rothschild established his business in the City, leasing New Court at No.2 St Swithin's Lane, where he began to deal in foreign exchange and bullion.
The first New Court.
1810 The first Rothschild family Partnership agreement
On 27th September 1810, Mayer Amschel Rothschild and three of his five sons, Amschel, Salomon and Carl, became partners in a new firm, Mayer Amschel Rothschild & Sons, the first family partnership that was to endure over the succeeding generations.
The Partnership Agreement of 1810.
1812 Amschel Mayer Rothschild takes over the Frankfurt house
On the death of Mayer Amschel Rothschild in 1812, his son Amschel Mayer assumed control of the Frankfurt house.
Amschel Mayer Rothschild (1773-1855).
1812 James de Rothschild arrives in Paris
James was in Paris from the age of 19, co-ordinating the purchase of specie and bullion for his brother Nathan. Between 1814 and 1815 he was the lynchpin in Nathan’s plan to supply Wellington’s armies with funds. Originally trading as J M Rothschild, in 1817, he changed the name of the firm to de Rothschild Frères with his brothers as partners.
The Paris house in the rue Lafitte.
1815 The 'Waterloo' commission
In the closing years of the Napoleonic Wars, the five Rothschild brothers, commissioned by the British government, ,worked to supply gold to Wellington's army leading up to, and after the Battle of Waterloo. Legend has it that the Rothschilds' unrivalled network brought early news to London of Wellington's victory in 1815.
Commemorative case of coins, 1815: 'An Account of Bullion Specie' inscribed to JC Herries, Commissary-in-Chief to the Government, 1815.
1818 The first Rothschild loan: the Prussian 5% Loan
The loan issued by Nathan Rothschild for Prussia in 1818 is considered by many to be the true precursor of the public borrowing which transformed the international capital market in the nineteenth century.
Prospectus for the 1818 Prussian loan.
1821 Salomon Mayer Rothschild arrives in Vienna
In 1820, the Austrian chancellery entered into negotiations with the House of Rothschild for a large loan that was to take the form of a lottery. Salomon moved to Vienna in 1821, establishing the fourth Rothschild banking house.
Detail of tin box holding Metternich documents.
1821 Carl Mayer Rothschild sets up in Naples
Carl initially went to Naples to negotiate a Neapolitan loan, and settled there in 1821 where he established the Italian branch of the family business, C M de Rothschild & Figli, which was to trade for over for forty years.
Map of Naples, c.1800.
1822 Barons of the Austrian Empire
In 1822, the Austrian Emperor made the five brothers Barons. A coat of arms was adopted that is still used by the family today, featuring the famous five arrows emblem, the red shield and the motto 'Concordia, Integritas, Industria'.
Baronial grant of arms to the Rothschild brothers, 1822.
1824 Bankers to Brazil: the Brazilian 5% Loan
In the early days of Brazil’s political independence N M Rothschild & Sons were major bankers to the Brazilian Government; this loan enabled Brazil to buy its independence from Portugal.
Bond for an early 19th century Brazilian loan, issued by the London bank.
1824 Alliance Assurance Company founded
Founded by Nathan Mayer Rothschild and Moses Montefiore, the Alliance grew to be the largest insurance company in the country with many members of the Rothschild family serving as directors and Chairmen over the years.
Certificate of Insurance of the Alliance Assurance Company.
1825 The house of Rothschild rescues the Bank of England
The bubble of speculating mania burst in 1825 causing a run on the reserves of the the Bank of England; the bank was sustained by a large payment by the house of Rothschild.
The Bank of England.
1834 N M Rothschild appointed Bankers to the United States in Europe
N M Rothschild became Banker to the US Government in Europe, in which capacity the firm pursued the Government's claim to the legacy of James Smithson, leading to the foundation of the Smithsonian Institute.
Scrip certificate for the United States 4½% Loan. In 1839, N M Rothschild & Sons and de Rothschild Frères contracted for a £900,000 loan to the US Bank. In 1872, N M Rothschild & Sons raised a $15 million bond issue for the City of New York to finance municipal improvements. Further US Government loans followed in 1873, 1875 and 1876.
1836 Lionel Nathan de Rothschild leads the London house
The death of Nathan left his son Lionel de Rothschild (1808-1879) as senior partner in the new firm N M Rothschild & Sons, which he formed with his three brothers.
Silhouette of Nathan Mayer Rothschild at the Royal Exchange, London.
1837 Salomon von Rothschild builds Austria's first steam railway
Salomon funded the first major steam railway to be built in continental Europe, the Kaiser Ferdinands Nordbahn, which opened in 1837 between Floridsdorf and Deutsch Wagram, and extended to Vienna in 1838.
Cover of a technical manual for the Kaiser Ferdinands-Nordbahn.
1838 Earliest Rothschild trade with China
Evidence of Rothschild trading links with China dates from 1838. Trade in silks feature, alongside tin, tea, cochineal and quicksilver. The commitment of the London bank was confirmed when the Bank joined the Pekin Syndicate, set up in London in 1897 to increase business links with China.
Correspondence between the London house and Jardine Matheson, 1843.
1841 Rothschild cousins and the first tea in Ceylon
The Worms brothers, nephews of Nathan Mayer Rothschild, brought the first cuttings of China jat tea from China to Ceylon and planted them on what became known as the Rothschild tea estate at Pussellawa.
'Rothschild' tea - still being produced today.
1843 Salomon Rothschild buys the Witkowitz (Vítkovice) ironworks
Salomon Rothschild 1774-1855) bought the ironworks at Witkowice (Vítkovice) , and founded the United Coal Mines of Vítkovice and Austro-Hungarian Blast Furnace Company. The works were essential to the development of the new railways spreading out across Europe.
The works at Witkowice.
1845 de Rothschild Frères develop the Nord line
In 1845, the French government awarded the contract for the first major railway line to be built in the country to James de Rothschild, who envisaged his Chemin de Fer du Nord, running initially between Paris and Valenciennes, joining with the Austrian lines built by his brother, Salomon.
The Gare du Nord, Paris terminus of the line.
1846 Rothschilds raise Irish famine relief funds
The Irish potato famine began in 1842. In December 1846, the Irish Famine Fund, co-ordinated by the British Relief Association held its first official meeting at 148 Piccadilly, the London home of Lionel de Rothschild. The following year, the Irish 3% Loan was contracted for by N M Rothschild & Sons and Baring Brothers to raise funds for the supply of food.
A contemporary engraving of the plight of Irish famine victims, c.1846.
1848 Anslem Salomon von Rothschild takes over the Viennese house
With the self-imposed withdrawal from the business of Salomon Rothschild, his son Anselm Salomon von Rothschild (1803-1874) took over the Viennese house; the first of his generation to be enlisted into the ranks of the family firm.
Ansem Salomon von Rothschild (1803-1874).
1849 Gold: the establishment of a Rothschild agency in San Francisco
The discovery of gold in California in 1848 had awakened Rothschild interest and in 1849 N M Rothschild established an agency under Benjamin Davidson and John May in San Francisco.
Advice published to fortune-hunters in the Californian gold rush, c.1849.
1846 Communication par excellence: Pigeon post
Efficient communications were essential to the Rothschild early business success; a letter dated c.1846 from Nathaniel Rothschild (1812-1870) to his brothers refers to the use of pigeons; “I hope our feathered messengers will have brought you in due time our good prices” he writes.
Telegraphic codes used by the London house.
1851 Mayer Amschel de Rothschild builds Mentmore Towers
Mentmore Towers in Buckinghamshire was designed by Joseph Paxton for Mayer de Rothschild (1818-1874) as a country home and showcase for his collection of fine art. The property passed into the Rosebery family and was famously sold in 1977.
Mentmore Towers, Buckinghamshire, the seat of Mayer de Rothschild (1818-1874).
1852 Foundation of the Hôpital Fondation de Rothschild, Paris
Brought up in Frankfurt's Jewish ghetto, the Rothschild brothers retained a strong social conviction. The Hôpital Fondation de Rothschild was established in Paris by James de Rothschild (1792-1868) to provide free medical care to the needy of all faiths.
Notice of the departments of the Hôpital Fondation de Rothschild c.1919.
1852 Advisers to Queen Victoria & Prince Albert
The London house offered discreet financial advice to select private clients; Balmoral Castle and estate were purchased by Prince Albert with a loan from the Rothschilds. Queen Victoria made regular use of the Rothschild courier service for her overseas correspondence, describing it as ‘perfectly safe and very quick’.
Private account ledgers.
1852 Establishment of the Royal Mint Refinery
The acquisition of the Refinery by Sir Anthony de Rothschild (1810-1876) made the London house a leader in the bullion trade. Over the next hundred years, the refinery would produce gold bullion, later diversifying into the production of copper wire and decorative products, and producing munitions in two world wars. In 1967, N M Rothschild & Sons sold the refinery business to Engelhard Industries Ltd.
Casting gold bars at the Royal Mint Refinery in the 1930s.
1853 James de Rothschild builds Château de Ferrières
The immensely grand Château de Ferrières, Paris was built between 1853 and 1859 by James Rothschild. In the twentieth century, Guy and Marie-Hélène de Rothschild hosted grand costume balls; in 1975 they gave Ferrières to the University of Paris.
Château de Ferrières, Seine-et-Marne.
1853 Nathaniel de Rothschild buys Château Brane Mouton
Nathaniel de Rothschild (1812-1870) began the family's association with great wine. Moving to France from England to marry his cousin Charlotte, he purchased Château Brane Mouton, renaming it Château Mouton Rothschild.
A bottle of Château Mouton Rothschild.
1855 Mayer Carl and Wilhelm Carl von Rothschild become joint partners in the Frankfurt house
On the death of Mayer Amschel Rothschild 1812, his eldest son, Amschel Mayer (1773-1855), took over the management the Frankfurt House. Amschel died childless, and the son of his brother Salomon, Anselm (1803-1874), and the sons of his brother Carl, Mayer Carl (1820-1866) and Wilhelm Carl (1828-1901) assumed responsibility for the business from 1855.
1858 Lionel de Rothschild takes his seat in Parliament as the first Jewish MP
Lionel de Rothschild (1808-1879) was first elected as an MP for the City of London in 1847. As a Jew, he refused to take an oath, "in the true faith of a Christian" to enter the House of Commons. For eleven years his seat remained empty, until 1858 when the law changed so that MPs could choose between swearing on the Old or the New Testament.
Lionel Nathan de Rothschild introduced in the House of Commons on 26 July 1858 by Lord John Russell and Mr Abel Smith, by Henry Barraud.
1860 First rebuilding of New Court
Between 1860 and 1865 New Court was rebuilt in the style of a grand Italian ‘palazzo’ to the design of Thomas Marsh Nelson, reflecting the success and power of the business. The second New Court survived for almost exactly a century.
Plans of the second New Court. "New Court...seems to me quite marvellous, and intended for magnificent business” Charlotte, Baroness Lionel de Rothschild, 1865.
1863 C M de Rothschild & Figli in Naples is closed
Carl Rothschild died in 1855, leaving the business in the hands of his son Adolphe (1823-1900), whose two surviving brothers assumed responsibility of the Frankfurt office on the death of their childless uncle in the same year. The unification of the kingdoms of Italy in 1860 saw the diminution of influence of Naples, and the maintenance of a Rothschild house in the city was no longer viable and after forty years, the affairs of the Naples house were wound up.
A painting of the Villa Pignatelli alla Riviera di Chaia, Naples, residence of the Naples Rothschild family.
1868 James de Rothschild acquires Château Lafite
Baron James de Rothschild was a connoisseur of good wine and attracted by the prospect of acquiring a top Médoc estate as an investment. After thirty years of trying, he finally purchased Château Lafite in 1868 but died six months later, never having set foot on the property.
1971 Lafite wine label.
1868 The sons of James de Rothschild succeed him in the Paris house
After James' death, his sons, Alphonse (1827-1905), Gustave (1829-1911) and Edmond (1845-1934), assumed control of the business. The French House continued to fund and build railways, playing a major role in the development of the French and European rail network.
Mayer Alphonse de Rothschild (1827-1905).
1869 Opening of the Evelina Hospital, London
On Tuesday 15 June 1869, the Evelina Hospital for the Care of Sick Children was opened. The Hospital had been founded by Ferdinand de Rothschild (1839-1898), in memory of his wife Evelina (1839-1866), who had died tragically in childbirth.
Evelina de Rothschild (1839-1866).
1869 Alfred de Rothschild appointed a Director of the Bank of England
Alfred de Rothschild (1842-1918) was the first Jew to be appointed a Director of the Bank of England. Alfred liked to move in diplomatic circles, and briefly became Senior Partner of the London house in 1915.
Alfred de Rothschild (1842-1918).
1874 Albert von Rothschild succeeds his father a head of the Viennese house
Anselm Salomon von Rothschild died in 1874, and his son Salomon Albert Anselm took control of the business. Under Albert, S M von Rothschild & Söhne became banker-in-chief to the Austrian government and the family's industrial holdings were increased.
Salomon Albert Anselm von Rothschild (1844-1911).
1875 Lionel de Rothschild assists the British Government to purchase shares in the Suez Canal
Baron Lionel de Rothschild (1808-1879) is remembered in business for his assistance to the British Government in 1875 to procure the Khedive of Egypt's share in the Suez Canal. Lionel advanced a personal loan of £4 million to his friend Disraeli, a huge sum at the time.
Receipt from the Treasury for the repayment of the first instalment of the 'Suez' loan 9th March 1876.
1879 Nathaniel Mayer Rothschild becomes Senior Partner
Nathaniel Mayer de Rothschild (1840-1915), known as 'Natty' took over the senior partnership of the London House from his father Lionel. Under Natty, the bank made 70 loans (many for railways and infrastructure projects such as the Manchester Ship Canal), and explored business opportunities in new markets.
Nathaniel Mayer, 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915).
1881 de Rothschild Frères develop their interests in mining
Mining was just one of the French Rothschild family's considerable interests. The French mining company, Société minière et métallurgique de Peñarroya was founded in part by members of the French family in 1881. In 1883, de Rothschild Frères bought the company Société Le Nickel.
Peñarroya advertisement, 1950s.
1884 Ferdinand de Rothschild completes Waddesdon Manor
Ferdinand de Rothschild (1839-1898) entertained lavishly but alone at the magificent Waddesdon; tragically his young wife Evelina had died in childbirth in 1866. Queen Victoria who spent a day at Waddesdon in 1890 was delighted with the house which housed Ferdinand's fabulous collections.
Waddesdon Manor, Buckinghamshire.
1885 Nathaniel Rothschild created the first Jewish peer
Like his father, Nathaniel Mayer de Rothschild (1840-1915, known as 'Natty' was an MP, gaining Aylesbury for the Liberals in 1865. A baronet in succession to his uncle Anthony from 1876, Natty became the first Jewish peer in 1885, becoming Lord Rothschild of Tring.
Nathaniel Mayer, 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915).
1885 Creation of the Four Percent Industrial Dwellings Company Ltd
The Four Per Cent Industrial Dwellings Company Ltd was founded by Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915) and a board of prominent Jewish philanthropists including Frederick Mocatta and Samuel Montagu, to provide "the industrial classes with commodious and healthy Dwellings at a minimum rent".
The Four Per Cent Industrial Dwellings Company buildings, East End of London.
1886 Formation of The Exploration Company
The Exploration Company was formed in 1886 with Rothschild capital as a limited investment fund specialising in overseas mining ventures. The Rothschilds already had investments in this field in de Beers and Rio Tinto.
Prospectus for shares in The Exploration Company.
1886 de Rothschild Frères develops interests in Russian oil
In 1886, the French Rothschild bank, de Rothschild Frères, began to develop substantial interests in the Russian oil fields.The bank formed the Caspian and Black Sea Petroleum Company. Increased competition and instability in the region persuaded Rothschilds to sell their interests to Royal Dutch and Shell in 1912.
Oil production in Baku.
1890 Walter, 2nd Lord Rothschild creates his museum of natural history
Lionel Walter, 2nd Lord Rothschild (1868-1937) was famed as a zoologist rather than a banker. When he was 21, his father built him a museum at Tring Park to house his specimens; he also kept a menagerie of live animals. In 1937, the Rothschild family gifted Walter's Museum to the nation; it is now known as the Natural History Museum at Tring.
Inside Walter Rothschild's museum at Tring.
1894 Nathaniel von Rothschild credited with introducing football to Austria
In 1882, Nathaniel von Rothschild (1836-1905) began to create a park at Hohe Warte in Vienna. One of his gardeners' sons, returning from England, set up a team to provide recreation for the estate staff. With land and finance from Nathaniel, the First Vienna Football Club (the first in Austria) was established in 1894.
Pennant of The First Vienna Football Club, c.1960.
1901 Liquidation of M A Rothschild & Söhne, Frankfurt
On the death of Amschel Mayer Rothschild, his nephews Mayer Carl and Wilhelm Carl became partners in the Frankfurt banking house. By 1901, and the death of the remaining partner, Wilhelm Carl, Frankfurt was no longer a significant financial centre and the decision was taken to liquidate M A Rothschild & Söhne, the Frankfurt House.
The Frankfurt banking house, 146, Fahrgasse.
1904 St Amant wins the Derby
Leopold de Rothschild (1845-1917) had become a keen race-goer during his college days at Cambridge. His horse St Amant famously won the 1904 Derby (held during a thunderstorm), beating the favourite, the Prince of Wales' horse.
St Amant, winner of the 1904 Derby, owned by Leopold de Rothschild (1845-1917).
1905 Béatrice Ephrussi builds the villa Ile-de-France
Between 1905 and 1912, Béatrice Ephrussi (née de Rothschild) (1864-1934) created the elegant villa Ile-de-France. Each room was arranged specifically to show off her collections of art and objets d’art. The gardens surrounding the house were particularly beautiful. Béatrice left the house and its contents to the Académie des Beaux-Arts.
The impressive villa Ile-de-France.
1905 Edouard Alphonse and Robert de Rothschild take control of de Rothschild Frères
Alphonse de Rothschild died in 1905, and his son Edouard Alphonse (1868-1949) took control of the business. Surviving a youthful duel, which he fought to combat anti-Semitic insults, Edouard and his younger cousin, Robert (1880-1946), directed the affairs of the Paris House.
Edouard Alphonse de Rothschild (1868-1949).
1905 The Fondation Opthalmologique Adolphe de Rothschild opens in Paris
The Fondation Ophtalmologique Adolphe de Rothschild was opened in Paris in 1905 by Adolphe’s widow Caroline (1830-1907). Adolphe (1823-1900) had received treatment for an eye injury and had established a similar clinic in Geneva. Over 80,000 consultations were conducted in the first year.
The Fondation Ophtalmologique Adolphe de Rothschild.
1907 Lionel de Rothschild wins 'La perla del Mediterraneo’
The ‘Pearl of the Mediterranean’ was a speed boat race that took place off the coast of Italy in April 1907, attracting aristocrats and wealthy sportsmen. With clear skies and calm waters, 'The Flying Fish' commanded by Lionel de Rothschild (1882-1942), led for all 10 laps of race, winning him a coveted trophy of a Lalique plaque in gold, enamel and pearl.
The ‘Pearl of the Mediterranean’ trophy by Lalique, won by Lionel de Rothschild (1882-1942) in 1907.
1907 Loans to Japan
In 1905, the London house led a syndicate to issue a £25 million loan to the Imperial Japanese Government, followed by further loans by the London and Paris Rothschild banks in 1907, 1910, 1913 and in the 1920s.
Bond certificate for the 1905 Imperial Japanese loan.
1908 Birth of Miriam Rothschild
By the age of four, the scientist, zoologist and entomologist Dame Miriam Rothschild (1908-2005) had started collecting insects, later attending evening classes in zoology. During the 1930s she worked at the Marine Biological Station in Plymouth and spent the war as a code-breaker at Bletchley Park.
Bookplate of Miriam Rothschild by Eric Gill.
1908 Lionel de Rothschild experiments with autochromes
Lionel de Rothschild (1882-1942) was an ardent exponent of the autochrome, an early form of colour photography, made using glass plates. Between 1908 and 1912, he took many autochromes, both in England and at family residences in France and on trips abroad on his yacht.
Autochrome of the Small Mansion, Gunnersbury Park.
1910 Birth of Victor, 3rd Lord Rothschild
Nathaniel Mayer Victor Rothschild (1910-1990) was Cambridge scientist. During the war, he heading a unit specialising in counter-sabotage devices. After the war he became chairman of Shell Research Ltd., and was the first Director General of the Central Policy Review Staff. In the mid-70s he chaired N M Rothschild and Sons Limited.
(Nathaniel Mayer) Victor, 3rd Lord Rothschild (1910-1990).
1911 Lord Rothschild as Chairman of the Alliance Assurance Company declines to insure The 'Titanic'
In 1911, the Rothschild directed firm, the Alliance Assurance Company refused to insure the liner 'Titanic', Lord Rothschild claiming it was "too big to float". It proved to be a wise decision; the ill-fated 'Titanic' sank in the North Atlantic on her maiden voyage from Southampton to New York on 15 April 1912 after colliding with an iceberg.
1911 The three Rothschild sons manage the Vienna bank
On Albert's death in 1911, Louis von Rothschild (1882-1955) found himself managing the family firm in Vienna, with his two brothers Alphonse (1878-1942) and Eugène (1884-1976). Under the three brothers, the business continued to play an active role in the Witkowitz iron works and the Florisdorf Engineering works.
Louis von Rothschild (1882-1955).
1912 The Society for the Promotion of Nature Reserves survey initiated by Charles Rothschild
Between 1912 and 1915, The Society for the Promotion of Nature Reserves, founded by the banker and naturalist Charles Rothschild (1877-1923) conducted the first ever survey of natural habitats in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. The Society for the Promotion of Nature Reserves evolved into today's Wildlife Trusts.
Original documents from The Society for the Promotion of Nature Reserves survey, 1912-1915.
1914 The Aston Clinton Hill Climb
Aston Hill on the Tring Park estate of Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915) was a renowned venue for early motoring events. Lionel Martin and Robert Bamford were participants in the Aston Hill Climb, and their success provided the ideal name for their prototype car: the Aston-Martin.
Early racing on Aston Hill.
1915 New Court and the First World War
Alfred de Rothschild (1842-1918), fearful of zeppelin attacks, had air-raid shelters built at New Court. His nephew, Lionel de Rothschild (1882-1942), established a Recruiting Committee at New Court in 1915, accepting men for the Bucks Battalions. Tragically, his brother Evelyn (1886-1917), was killed in action in 1917.
New Court c.1920.
1915 Alfred de Rothschild becomes Senior Partner
Alfred (1842-1918) succeeded his brother Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild as Senior Partner of the London banking house. His wide social circle supplied private clients, including many from the world of entertainment. Alfred liked to move in diplomatic circles, and was a Director of the Bank of England.
Alfred de Rothschild (1842-1918).
1917 The Balfour Declaration is addressed to Walter, 2nd Lord Rothschild
The Balfour Declaration was a letter from the United Kingdom's Foreign Secretary Arthur James Balfour to Lionel Walter, 2nd Lord Rothschild, in his capacity as unofficial leader of the British Jewish community. The letter concerned the favourability by the Government of the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people.
The Balfour Declaration, 1917.
1917 Evelyn de Rothschild and Anthony de Rothschild become Partners at New Court
The brothers of Lionel Nathan de Rothschild (1882-1952), Evelyn Achille (1886-1917), and Anthony Gustav (1887-1961) were admitted to the family partnership at New Court in 1917. Tragically, Evelyn Achille was killed in the Palestine Campaign in 1917; Anthony would go on lead the bank during the Second World War.
Evelyn Achille de Rothschild (1886-1917).
1918 Charles Rothschild, scientist and organiser, becomes Senior Partner at New Court
On the death of his uncle Alfred in 1918, Charles (1877-1923) took over the Senior Partner's desk at New Court. Educated at Harrow, (where he displayed a great talent for entomology), the bank at New Court benefited from his practical and systematic approach to the organisation of the firm.
Nathaniel Charles Rothschild (1877-1923), on a trip to Japan, 1902.
1919 Lionel de Rothschild purchases Exbury
Lionel de Rothschild (1882-1942) bought the Exbury estate in 1919. It was Lionel’s gardening passion which led him to choose Exbury; here he cultivated hundreds of new hybrid rhododendrons and azaleas for which the estate has become famous.
Nathaniel Charles Rothschild (1877-1923), on a trip to Japan, 1902.
1919 The first Gold Fixing takes place at New Court
The 12 September 1919 saw the first Gold Fixing take place at New Court. Every day, the representatives of the five members of the London Gold Market would assemble to achieve a balance of buyers and sellers until the price was fixed. The final Gold Fixing to be hosted by N M Rothschild & Sons took place at New Court on 4 May 2004.
Gold bars produced by the Rothschild-run Royal Mint Refinery in the 1930s.
1923 Lionel Nathan de Rothschild becomes Senior Partner at New Court
Lionel de Rothschild (1882-1942) was educated at Harrow and Cambridge before taking his place as a partner at New Court. Under Lionel, the bank began a steady transition towards advisory work and finance raising for commercial concerns, including successful bond issues for the London Underground.
Lionel Nathan de Rothschild (1882-1942).
1923 Baron Edmond de Rothschild establishes the Palestine Jewish Colonization Association
A strong supporter of Zionism, Baron Edmond underwrote the purchase of land and the creation of Jewish settlements in Palestine and Israel. In 1923, he created the Palestine Jewish Colonization Association (PICA), to acquire land and support economic development. Edmond's large donations helped lead to the establishment of the State of Israel.
Baron Edmond de Rothschild (1845-1934).
1924 Hannah Mathilde's legacy in Frankfurt
In Frankfurt, the seven daughters of Louise von Rothschild (1820-1894) were responsible for many of the family's 30 charitable foundations, including a public library, swimming bath, orphanage, and hospitals. Hannah Mathilde (1832-1924), the last of the Frankfurt Rothschilds endowed six charitable foundations, and in her will she made many charitable bequests.
Bookplate from the Carl von Rothschild Library, Frankfurt.
1925 Gunnersbury becomes a public park
Gunnersbury was purchased by Nathan Mayer Rothschild shortly before his death in 1836. The estate was much loved by the family, succeeding generations enlarging the park and adding a pleasure lake. In 1925, the Rothschilds sold Gunnersbury to the boroughs of Acton and Ealing for use as a public park.
Map of the Gunnersbury estate, 1849.
1928 N M Rothschild & Sons finances expansion of the London Underground
Together with Barings and Schroders, N M Rothschild & Sons helped arrange the share capital of the Underground Electric Railways Company of London Ltd to develop extensions to the network in 1929 and 1930, the most notable of these projects being the extension of the Piccadilly Line.
Map that accompanied the prospectus for the Underground Railways loan of 1928.
1931 N M Rothschild & Sons respond to the Creditanstalt crisis in Austria
N M Rothschild & Sons chaired the Committee to rescue the Austrian Creditanstalt, which had collapsed early in 1931, precipitating a global financial crisis. The Creditanstalt, originally founded in 1855 by the Austrian Rothschilds, was ultimately rescued by the Austrian Republic, the National Bank of Austria and the Rothschild family.
The Creditanstalt building, Vienna.
1933 Support for German Jewish refugees
In the early 1930s, the Rothschild family quickly responded to the plight of Jews across Europe. Anthony (1887-1961) and Yvonne de Rothschild (1899-1977) co-ordinated efforts from New Court to assist refugees through the Central British Fund for Jewish Relief & Rehabilitation.
Jewish refugee children from Vienna arriving at Harwich in 1938.
1936 Lionel de Rothschild and The Roads Beautifying Association
In the 1930s, Lionel de Rothschild (1882-1942) a passionate gardener, was involved with The Roads Beautifying Association, which had been founded in 1928 to make horticultural expertise available to local authorities and others responsible for highway planting and the management of the urban landscape.
Cover of the annual report of The Roads Beautifying Association for 1937.
1938 The Rothschilds in Europe flee Nazi persecution
The Vienna banking house closed in March 1938. Louis von Rothschild (1882-1955) was held under house arrest for a year before handing over most of his assets to the new Nazi regime; the Viennese business was placed under administration and sold. In France, members of the Rothschild family left via Spain to Portugal, assisted by Aristides de Sousa Mendes, the Portuguese Consul-General in Bordeaux, who, defying his Government's orders, issued visas to thousands of refugees. The family supported the war effort from Britain, Canada and the USA.
It was not until 1955 that the family were able to negotiate the return of their estates in Europe. The box above contained the ‘Moscow Papers’, archives of the Viennese family originally looted during the Second World War.
1940 Supporting the war effort: New Court and the Royal Mint Refinery
Although much of the business was evacuated to the Rothschild estate, Tring Park, the Partners were adamant that they would remain in the City for the duration. New Court was equipped with fire-fighting apparatus, the basement strengthened, and a fire-watching rota set up. The Royal Mint Refinery was directed to making munitions. Luckily, New Court sustained minor damage in the London Blitz of 1941.
The devastation of the City after the war.
1942 Anthony Gustav de Rothschild becomes sole Partner, N M Rothschild & sons
Anthony Gustav de Rothschild (1887-1961) became Senior Partner following the sudden death of his brother Lionel in the dark days of the Second World War. Anthony took a special interest in the work of The Royal Mint Refinery. Anthony died in 1961, after a long illness, remembered as 'not only a charming companion, but a man of high principles and great integrity'.
Anthony Gustav de Rothschild (1887-1961).
1946 Château Mouton 'Victory Year' wine label
It was Baron Philippe de Rothschild (1902-1988) who conceived the idea of dedicating the Château Mouton Rothschild vintage to Victory Year; the 1945 wine label was designed by Philippe Jullian, who chose a 'V' surrounded by vines. From 1945 onwards a contemporary artist has been commissioned to illustrate the label with an original work.
The 1945 Château Mouton 'Victory Year' wine label.
1946 The French family transform Paris Orléans
After the Second World War, the Rothschild family took over the remains of Paris Orléans (a former railway company in their portfolio), and transformed it into a holding company for its banking activities and corporate investments. Paris Orléans was renamed Rothschild & Co in 2015.
Bond of the old Paris Orléans Railway Company.
1947 Rothschilds in the United States: The Amsterdam Overseas Corporation:
Edouard (1868-1949) and Robert (1880-1946) de Rothschild, joint-partners in de Rothschild Frères arrived in the USA in 1940 from German-occupied France. In 1947 the Rothschilds in New York created the Amsterdam Overseas Corporation, with Pierson, Heldring, Pierson of Amsterdam. This firm eventually became Rothschild Inc., with support from N M Rothschild & Sons in London.
New York in the 1940s.
1947 Edmund de Rothschild becomes a Partner, N M Rothschild & Sons
Educated at Harrow and Cambridge, Edmund de Rothschild (1916-2009), had been sent by his father on an 18-month tour around the world in 1937. He returned to England in May 1939 and worked at N M Rothschild & Sons until the outbreak of war in September. He became a Partner in N M Rothschild & Sons upon his return from service in North Africa.
Edmund Leopold de Rothschild (1916-2009).
1949 Guy de Rothschild becomes head of de Rothschild Frères
After distinguished war service, Guy de Rothschild (1909-2007) took control of the Paris bank in 1949 when his father Edouard died. Guy was with Associé de M M de Rothschild Frères between 1936 and 1967 and was President of the Banque Rothschild between 1968 and 1978.
Guy de Rothschild (1909-2007).
1953 N M Rothschild & Sons finance development of natural resources in Canada
In 1953, under the guidance of Edmund de Rothschild (1916-2009), N M Rothschild & Sons led a syndicate to develop land in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. The key to the development project was a power station to harness the Hamilton (later renamed Churchill) Falls, at the time, the largest construction project ever undertaken by a private company.
Map of Labrador, c.1960.
1956 N M Rothschild & Sons establishes the Merchant Bank of Central Africa
The Merchant Bank of Central Africa (MBCA) was set up by N M Rothschild & Sons with a number of corporate partners with the aim of replicating as far as possible in Africa the functions of a City of London merchant bank. By 1984, the MBCA had achieved the reputation of being the leading bank for corporate finance in Zimbabwe.
Downtown Salisbury, Rhodesia, c.1960.
1956 Leopold de Rothschild becomes a Partner at New Court
In 1956, Leopold de Rothschild (1927-2012) joined the family firm at New Court after National Service in the Royal Navy, Cambridge and training at other banks. He became heavily involved in re-establishing Rothschild’s Latin American offices, especially Mexico, Chile and Brazil. From 1970 to 1983 he sat as a Director on the Court of the Bank of England.
Leopold David de Rothschild (1927-2012).
1957 Dorothy de Rothschild: patron of the arts and Jewish philanthropist
After the death of James de Rothschild (1878-1957), his widow Dorothy (1895-1988), gave the spectacular mansion Waddesdon Manor and its splendid contents to the National Trust. In 1958, she established Yad Hanadiv (Memorial of the Benefactor) in 1957 to pursue ideals James and his father Edmond had nurtured for Israel and to contribute towards the advancement ‘of science, art and culture in Israel’.
The grey drawing room, Waddesdon Manor.
1959 N M Rothschild & Sons sets up its first unit trust
N M Rothschild & Sons, recognising the growing popularity of unit trusts, (a form of collective investment constituted under a trust deed which pools investors' money into a single fund, managed by a fund manager) set up its first unit trust, the Shield Fund in 1959.
The second New Court, in the 1960s.
1959 Evelyn de Rothschild becomes a Partner of N M Rothschild & Sons
Aged 26, Evelyn de Rothschild (1931-2022) (later Sir Evelyn) joined N M Rothschild & Sons to be trained in the family's business. Evelyn oversaw the rebuilding of New Court in the early 1960s and served as Chairman of N M Rothschild & Sons Limited from 1976 to 2003, pioneering the firm’s involvement in the Conservative government's privatisation programme.
The second New Court in the 1960s.
1960 Edmund de Rothschild becomes Senior partner and the first non-Rothschild partner appointed
Edmund de Rothschild (1916-2009) became Senior Partner in 1960, managing a period of consolidation for the firm, presiding over the bank's transition from a highly conservative family firm to a modern institution. He opened the partnership to non-family members, beginning with David Colville (1909-1987), who was appointed in July 1960 as the first non-Rothschild partner.
The Partners' Room in the second New Court.
1963 Edmond de Rothschild forms La Compagnie Financière
1963 saw the creation of La Compagnie Financière Edmond de Rothschild (LCF). Founded by Edmond de Rothschild (1926-1997), the Swiss-based firm began as a venture capital house, and developed into an investment bank and asset management company. In 2010, the LCF Rothschild group changed its name to the group Edmond de Rothschild.
Edmond de Rothschild (1926-1997).
1963 Jacob Rothschild becomes a Partner of N M Rothschild & Sons
In 1963, Jacob Rothschild (b.1936) (now the 4th Lord Rothschild), became a Partner in N M Rothschild & Sons, after Eton and Oxford. Jacob left the bank in 1980, to create Rothschild Investment Trust (now RIT Capital Partners plc). Jacob went on to found J. Rothschild Assurance Group (now St. James's Place plc) with Sir Mark Weinberg in 1991.
The Partners' Room in the second New Court.
1964 Rothschild returns to Manchester
In 1964 N M Rothschild & Sons opened a new office in Manchester, marking a return to the city where Nathan Mayer Rothschild had established Rothschild Brothers in 1799 as agents to coordinate the supply of British textiles to the continental market. When Nathan moved to London in 1809, the Manchester business was taken over by one of his clerks, Joseph Barber.
Mossley St, Manchester, where Nathan Mayer Rothschild had a house.
1965 The London bank occupies new offices at New Court
In 1965, N M Rothschild & Sons moved into their new strikingly modern building in St Swithin's Lane. Designed by Fitzroy Robinson and Partners, the six-storey glass, marble and steel building on the site of the old New Court incorporated features from the 1865 building such as cobblestones from the courtyard and Victorian panelling. The staff of the firm now numbered over 300.
Architects' model of the third New Court.
1967 Creation of Banque Rothschild and the re-building of the French bank
Following French government reform of banking regulations, de Rothschild Frères became Banque Rothschild, a limited-liability company in 1967; Banque Rothschild was created in 1968, functioning as a deposit bank. At Easter 1970, a new modern bank building was inaugurated at 21 rue Laffitte, Paris.
The new Rothschild bank building in the rue Lafitte, Paris.
1967 N M Rothschild & Sons finance the Rio de Janeiro-Niteroi Bridge
N M Rothschild & Sons arranged the finance for The President Costa e Silva Bridge (commonly known as the Rio-Niteroi Bridge), the sixth longest in the world. From its completion in 1974 until 1985 it was the world's second-longest bridge, second only to Lake Pontchartrain Causeway.
The President Costa e Silva Bridge, commonly known as the Rio-Niteroi Bridge.
1968 Creation of Rothschild Bank AG
Rothschild Bank AG was established in Zurich by members of the British and French Rothschild families in 1968. Since then, it has grown into an international private banking group with offices around the world, providing private banking and asset management services to individuals, families, and charities worldwide.
Zurch, where Rothschild Bank AG is based.
1970 N M Rothschild & Sons becomes a limited company
On 30 September 1970, the company founded by Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836) ceased to be a partnership and became a limited company, N M Rothschild & Sons Limited. The firm was the last London accepting house to relinquish its private partnership status.
Rothschild cheque book cover from the 1960s.
1973 Mr Edmund de Rothschild awarded the Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure
TThe London house began arranging loans on behalf of Japan in the early 1900s. In 1962, Edmund de Rothschild (1916-2009) led a City of London mission to strengthen commercial ties with Japan. In 1973, The Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure, 1st class, one of Japan’s highest honours, was conferred upon Edmund in recognition of his endeavours to promote Japanese-British friendship.
The Order of the Sacred Treasure, one of Japan’s highest honours, conferred upon Edmund de Rothschild in 1973.
1973 Rothschild Asset Management Limited is established in London
The London bank's investment division N M Rothschild Asset Management Limited (RAM) was incorporated in 1973, becoming its sister company in 1986. RAM specialised in the management of the assets of major pension funds and insurance companies and offered unit trusts and other investment vehicles to investors.
Coupons from a 19th century Rothschild bond issue.
1974 Banque Rothschild establishes Imétal
Imétal was created by the French Rothschilds in 1974 to expand their considerable raw material interests. Imétal grew rapidly, acquiring interests in the United States and Britain. The French house lost its stake in the company when the bank was nationalised in 1981, but Rothschild expertise was missed and family members were invited to join the board.
Coal mines of the French Rothschilds, Pas-de-Calais, France.
1975 Victor, 3rd Lord Rothschild becomes Chairman of N M Rothschild & Sons Limited
In 1975, Victor, 3rd Lord Rothschild (1910-1990) became Chairman of N M Rothschild & Sons Limited succeeding Edmund de Rothschild (1916-2009) who retired after 36 years of service. In 1976, the chairmanship passed to Evelyn de Rothschild (1931-2022), although Victor remained active in the firm until his death.
1976 Evelyn de Rothschild becomes Chairman of N M Rothschild & Sons Limited
In 1976, Evelyn de Rothschild (1931-2022), succeeded his cousin Victor, 3rd Lord Rothschild (1910-1990) as Chairman of N M Rothschild & Sons Limited. Sir Evelyn served as Chairman until 2003 when, together with his cousin Baron David de Rothschild (b.1942) he oversaw the merger of the family's French and UK houses.
Sir Evelyn de Rothschild.
1982 Nationalisation of Banque Rothschild
Banque Rothschild, the business established in Paris by James de Rothschild in 1812 was one of 39 to be compulsorily nationalised by the French government; the business became Compagnie Européenne de Banque. Following the nationalisation, the family established a new banking operation, using the company Paris Orléans. In 1986, the French Rothschilds were granted the right to use family name again, as Rothschild & Associés Banque.
A safe from the original French bank in the rue Laffitte on display at New Court.
1982 The creation of Rothschild Inc. in the United States
During the Second World War, America became a place of refuge for many members of the Rothschild family. In 1942, the Rothschilds in Paris and London established the Amsterdam Overseas Corporation in New York. Its business grew steadily and in the wake of its success it was reformed, first in 1967 as the investment bank New Court Securities. In January 1982, the American operation was again reformed, under a new name, Rothschild Inc.
1983 Regrouping of the French family's business
Following the compulsory nationalisation of Banque Rothschild in 1982, the family relaunched their activities through Paris Orléans, a former Rothschild railway company. In 1983, David, Nathaniel and Eric de Rothschild, together with six colleagues re-started the business, creating P.O. Gestion as a banking operation. In 1986, the French Rothschilds were granted the right to use family name again, as Rothschild & Associés Banque.
1984 N M Rothschild & Sons Limited and Privatisation
Rothschilds' first involvement in the field of privatisation was in 1971, when the British Government asked N M Rothschild & Sons to handle the sale of the Industrial Reorganisation Corporation. Under the chairmanship of Sir Evelyn de Rothschild, N M Rothschild & Sons was to handle many government privatisations in the 1980s and 1990s: British Telecommunications (1984), British Gas, with its famous campaign slogan "If you see Sid, tell him" (1986), British Steel (1988), Regional Water Authorities (1989), Regional Electricity Companies (1990), Railtrack (1993) and British Coal (1994).
1989 Rothschild banking business returns to Frankfurt
In 1989 the London and Paris Rothschilds announced the opening of a Frankfurt subsidiary. Rothschild GmbH marked the return of a Rothschild bank to the city where Mayer Amschel Rothschild (1744-1812) had established his business as a merchant, and where the five Rothschild brothers were born.
The old City of Frankfurt-am-Main.
1992 Yad Hanadiv philanthropy in Israel
In 1992, the Supreme Court building in Jerusalem, supported by Yad Hanadiv, the foundation established by Dorothy de Rothschild, was inaugurated. In 1957, Dorothy’s husband James (1878-1957) had bequeathed money to fund the building of a Jewish Parliament House, the Knesset, which opened in 1966.
The Israel Supreme Court building, endowed by Yad Hanadiv.
1996 Memorandum of Understanding with the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
In September 1996 N M Rothschild & Sons Limited signed an historical Memorandum of Understanding with the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China to develop jointly financial advisory business in China and internationally. Rothschilds’ Shanghai office opened for business in 1994.
Letter from Rothschild agents G C Schwabe & Co. in Shanghai, China, 1858.
1996 N M Rothschild & Sons Limited joint venture with ABM AMRO
N M Rothschild & Sons Limited formed an equity capital markets joint venture with ABN AMRO. The joint venture combined Rothschilds' capital markets advisory experience with ABN AMRO's global trading capabilities to provide advisory services to governments and corporations in the field of privatisations, equity offerings, and private placements. The joint venture was discontinued in 2007.
The former ABN-AMRO building, Rotterdam.
1998 Celebration of the Bicentenary of the arrival of Nathan Rothschild in Britain
1998 marked 200 years since Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836) set off from Frankfurt to England, laying the foundations of the business that was to become N M Rothschild & Sons. To mark the anniversary, an official history of the business was commissioned, and a major exhibition ‘The Life & Times of NMR, 1777-1836’ opened at the Museum of London.
Constance, Lady Battersea (née de Rothschild) (1843-1931).
2003 David de Rothschild becomes Rothschild Group Chairman
In 2003, after 44 years with the family firm, Sir Evelyn de Rothschild stepped down as Chairman of N M Rothschild & Sons Limited. The appointment of David de Rothschild as the Rothschild Group Chairman brought together again the English and French Rothschild business houses, the realisation of a long-held plan to unify structures for all of the financial entities held by the businesses.
Sir Evelyn de Rothschild and Baron David de Rothschild in the third New Court.
2010 The 'Plastiki' crosses the Pacific
In 2010, David de Rothschild (b.1978), the ecologist and environmentalist crossed the Pacific in the 'Plastiki', a catamaran made out of reclaimed plastic bottles and other recycled plastic waste products to raise awareness of global plastic pollution.
2011 The Fourth New Court opens for business
In 2008, work began on the re-building of New Court and in 2011 a striking 15 storey glass and steel building to the designs of architect Rem Koolhaas and his practice OMA opened on St Swithin's Lane. The fourth New Court opens up new views of the church of St Stephen Walbrook and the London skyline. The interior includes many references to the company's history, and a new oak reading room for The Rothschild Archive. In 2012 The fourth New Court was shortlisted for the prestigious RIBA Stirling Prize.
The fourth New Court.
2011 Domaines Barons de Rothschild develops its first Chinese vineyard
In 2011, Domaines Barons de Rothschild, owner of Château Lafite, in partnership with the Chinese state-owned investment corporation China International Trust and Investment Corporation, began to develop its first Chinese vineyard planted at Penglai, Shandong province, China to recreate Bordeaux-style wine made on Chinese soil.
Domaines Barons de Rothschild logo.
2012 Bicentenary of the arrival of James de Rothschild in Paris
In 2012, the Bibliothèque nationale de France held the exhibition 'The Rothschilds in France in the 19th century', to celebrate two hundred years since the arrival of James de Rothschild from Frankfurt. James arrived in Paris in 1812, aged twenty. He rapidly became one the protagonists in the world of the high finance.
Cover of the Exhibition catalogue, 2012.
2015 Rebranding to Rothschild & Co.
In 2015, the firm rebranded to become Rothschild & Co. At the same time, the parent company, formerly known as Paris Orléans, changed its name to Rothschild & Co. to match the trading name of the business. The Compagnie du chemin de fer de Paris à Orléans had been founded in 1838 as a railway company; after the Second World War, the French branch of the Rothschild family transformed it into a holding company for its banking activities.
Bond for the original Paris Orléans Railway Company.
2015 Ariane de Rothschild appointed CEO, Edmond de Rothschild Group
In January 2015, Ariane de Rothschild was appointed chairwoman of the Executive Committee of the Edmond de Rothschild Group, a finance company founded in 1953 by Baron Edmond de Rothschild specialising in asset management and private banking.
Logo of the Group Edmond de Rothschild.
2017 Rothschild & Co completes merger with Compagnie Financière Martin Maurel
In 2017, Rothschild & Co acquired the family-controlled French private bank, Compagnie Financière Martin Maurel. This merger united the businesses of two European financial families. After the acquisition, Rothschild & Co became the leading private bank in France.
Rothschild & Co logo.
2018 Alexandre de Rothschild becomes Executive Chairman, Rothschild & Co
In 2018, Rothschild & Co announced the appointment of Alexandre de Rothschild as Executive Chairman, succeeding his father, Baron David de Rothschild. Before joining the group, Alexandre gained substantial experience in investment banking and private equity in New York and London.
Detail from a historic Rothschild bond.
2018 Saskia de Rothschild takes over at Château Lafite
In April 2018, Baron Eric de Rothschild's daughter, Saskia became the youngest person to lead a first growth Bordeaux estate, also becoming the first female chairwoman of Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite), the extended family's global wine business.
Detail from a historic Rothschild bond.
2020 Rothschild & Co advises on sale of shareholdings in the world’s largest offshore wind farm project
Rothschild & Co. acted as sole financial adviser to Equinor ASA and SSE plc on the sale of a shareholdings in the Dogger Bank A and Dogger Bank B wind farm projects, the first two phases of construction of the world’s largest offshore wind farm, the Dogger Bank Project located off the north-east coast of England.
Bill for repairs to tennis courts at Gunnersbury Park 1915.
2021 Rothschild & Co acquires Banque Pâris Bertrand
In 2021, Rothschild & Co Bank AG, Rothschild & Co's Wealth Management subsidiary, completed its acquisition of Banque Pâris Bertrand, a renowned private bank with headquarters in Switzerland and offices in Geneva and Luxembourg.
2023 Concordia announces plans to take Rothschild & Co private
In February 2023, Concordia, the Rothschild family's holding company announced it was planning to take its financial business, Rothschild & Co. private, and was in talks with banks and current and prospective equity investors to finance an offer for the Paris-listed group.